It's been a long time since my last post. Anybody actually following this blog probably assumed that I had dropped out. In reality, I've been extremely busy trying to keep up with a 5 class, 18 credit courseload this semester. With many classes being cancelled due to that bastard known as the Polar Vortex, it's been a rough start to this semester. This week would be more of the same except that it's Spring Break! Yay! Except that it really isn't much of a break, I just don't have the tedium of attending lectures to impede my assignment work.
Last semester, I finished off with a somewhat surprising 4.0 GPA. While I worked very hard in each of my classes, I assumed that my essays for English Composition were not A material. So you can imagine how high I jumped out of my seat while I was sweating out the results of that grade on Christmas Eve. That gave me 64 quality points on my transcript which helped immensely as I only received a B+ in an online macroeconomics class taken over the Winterim. I hope to post those English Comp. essays here sometime over the summer.
Because I am struggling to stay on top of the assignments, the doubts surrounding my ability to keep up with a graduate-level workload have begun to surface. I did not expect to run into burnout this fast, especially since I absolutely love every one of the classes that I am taking right now. Mondays and Wednesdays are very long 13-hour days, starting with Discrete Mathematics and Calculus II then ending with Physics I w/ Calculus to close out the night. Since Statistics is the only class on Tuesday, it offers a bit of breather in between. Thursdays are the only day I have German so it's been a task to keep practicing every day on Duolingo.
What else has happened? Oh! I got inducted into Phi Theta Kappa a few weeks ago. That was kind of cool. I just applied for scholarships so hopefully being a member of an honor society helps my case. I also just accepted the reigns for the Secretary title of the SCCC chapter of Mu Alpha Theta (Mathematics Honor Society). My job is to meet with the President and VP, keep the minutes of the meetings, and keep everyone informed on the goings on of the club. As if my plate weren't full already, I offered to put together a presentation for Math Awareness Month in April. It's going to be fun, but I have to start getting an outline together in a few days and have a rough presentation hashed out by the end of the week.
I hope to update this a few more times this week if I am caught up enough. I must say though, if you're thinking about going back to school, do it. It is hard work because ... well ... it's supposed to be. Put everything you can into it, pace yourself, don't take an ambitious 18 credit courseload, and maybe you'll be able to have a little fun in the process too!
No comments:
Post a Comment